Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Migration Begins

I thought this summer would never come to pass. My first hint of its demise transpired one crisp August morning on the banks of the Henry’s Fork. While patiently waiting for death to reveal itself, a perceptible change in the air that wasn’t there previously suddenly gathered my attention. Although subtle, it was noteworthy. Back home falls first shades of crimson now randomly litter the valleys surround parched hillsides. As September approaches there is evidence of a change, but falls reluctance to emerge from summers grip yields a growing concern.

In anticipation of seasonal change we to alter our fishing habits spurred by the return of an anadramous fish whose journey near its end. Analogous to the timing of such natural phenomenon a small group of anglers appear in dawns gathering light at a near-by park. For several decades this congregations has assembled in anticipation. Approaching the water the parks resident waterfowl vocally voice their displeasure in their arrival. They gather at a safer distance to watch. Soon the still airs silence is broken with the resonance of their long rods as theses casters repeatedly work to hone their skills, their rods and techniques evidence of a time long past.

Greg Smith, who first introduced me to steelhead fishing with a fly emphatically stated while sipping a few cold ones, “When I get before the almighty the first question I’m asking the man is; why steelhead?” That was twenty one years ago. Collin Schadrech that same year said I’d never be the same after visiting the rivers of British Columbia that fateful fall. He was right. Since then, I’ve spent countless hours at day break in preparation of these mysterious travelers, an obsession that I now share with a growing passionate few.

Last evening at dinner with several staff members these fish worked their way into our conversation. At this late juncture in the year, that’s not unusual. Matt, who’s always wound tight, was seeking affirmation regarding his decision to get married. Coincidentally his matrimonial status would interfere with a trip to the Salmon scheduled for later in the season. Knowing his wife to be, obviously his better half, it took another couple of beers to convince him that he should stay the course. The fact that one would contemplate such is testimony to the addictiveness of fly fishing for steelhead. He wasn’t the first to surrender all aspects of reason to these fish, nor will he be the last.


As days pass and summers persistent heat reluctantly surrenders the frequency of such exchanges grows. My first of many phone calls from my extended family in British Columbia came around the same time as our sessions at the park began. It was one of many. Reports from various locations across the northwest precipitate many a conversation. For the past decade, with global implications affecting the world’s fragile ecosystems, these conversations carry considerable concern for on these waters there are consistently fewer fish. Yet, for those who pursue these fish, it’s not about numbers. If you can’t be content with a chance encounter, you should stick to other more predictable species.

After a concluding a recent early morning sessions in the park, and my last late night tying session I’ll soon be headed north. It’s what I live for and have since my first steelhead. Should I catch a fish or two, I’d consider myself fortunate after experiencing many a wet cold day on the water with nothing to show. But it’s that which often times seems unobtainable that I like the most about this game and most when it comes to fishing with a fly. It’s true also of the Henry’s Fork where lost opportunities create fanatical followers. Steelheaders are much the same. What other species of fish wills the angler to endure such challenges with hope as their only lure dangling form the end of ones line. In my experience, none.

4 comments:

Adam said...

Steve,

I frequent your store a lot when I'm back home in Utah. What would be the place you recommend for a fist-time steelhead voyage? I assume this depends on location, but is it better to go in the spring or fall?

Adam

Steve Schmidt said...

Sorry to not get back to you, but I was in Migration mode in BC and just returned. Fall is definitely the time to go. Spring runs are often to spawners, except for rivers like Washington’s Sauk and Skagit. There are others but these I'm more familiar with. Both of these are exceptional rivers.
Close by we have the Salmon River at 6 hours away. It fishes well from October to early November. So does the Grand Ronde, and the Dechutes. These are all good, depending on your expectations "Tug".

Give me some info as to how long you can go for? Will you use guides? What size rods do you own: 6,7 or and 8? Any place in particular you may have read about and would like to try? Also feel free to give me a call (800)545-4312. It’s that time of year and were all looking to take time off and get our steelhead fix.



Steve

Adam said...

Steve,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I could only go in December, the Spring or next fall. Can one fish in spawning season? I usually try to avoid doing so for trout. I own a nine weight that I use for striper fishing.

I was thinking of using a guide for a day or two and then fishing on my own.

Adam

Steve Schmidt said...

send me your schedule of when you can go to: info@wrflyfisher.com.